Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Meaning behind the Friendship Run

Fernanda, 3 years in SRLA – Camino Nuevo High School #2

This being my third 18-miler, I thought it would be a lot easier to accomplish compared to the other two races that I had run in the past. But it totally wasn’t. I felt completely exhausted and tired by the third mile, making me wonder what I had gotten myself into. I have to admit that during the first lap I felt like dying and giving up. And I know that it sounds a little too much, but that’s exactly what I felt in the moment. I felt like it was the hardest thing that I had ever done and then suddenly halfway done, I understood the point of the Friendship Run.

Every year, I have run the Friendship Run with the same person. We push one another and encourage each other every step of the run. And this year, it was no different. I ran with the same friend who not only cared about finishing the run at her own pace, but someone who was just as tired as I was, and yet still had the strength to push me and remind me to do my best. She made me realize that running is not all about competition and time, but about actually finishing strong and giving it my best. And just like every year, this year’s 18 Miler made me see how great of a team SRLA is. SRLA @ Camino Nuevo High School is filled with people who don’t let each other give up, even when we think we can’t keep going any longer. Although the rest of my amazing team finished at different times, I have the honor of successfully finishing the Friendship Run with all of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment