Tuesday, February 17, 2015

No Casualties @the Friendship Run

Laina, 4 years in SRLA – Camino Nuevo High School #2

First practice at Hansen Dam: 15 miles – everything was looking peachy…not really. My body hurt, it was cold, and most of all, super windy! I might have swallowed half a pound of dirt from all that wind. Second practice at Hansen Dam: 10 miles – the sun was out, I felt good, it looked like a prosperous run with no casualties. Now, the big day came: the 18 Mile Friendship Run. Let's have an honest moment here: I am a 4-year marathon veteran. I know what I'm getting myself to. However, the 18 Miler always takes a toll on my brain and body. It's so long and that first lap kinda kills you. I ran with a close friend at this year’s race; we usually don't run together, but we always find each other, so we both thought, "Why not?" Our goal: Don't get picked up by “The Bus of Doom."

The first lap was going great. Mile 6 came along and the sun was blazingly hot! #TheThirstWasReal


Mile 15 by 11:15am and I felt that I was good. No Bus of Doom for me! We jogged the last mile together and we crossed the Finish Line.  It wasn't a new PR for me; it was more about doing something that I was proud of. When I finished, I grabbed two water bottles, three Rice Krispies Treats and three oranges. I headed to my marathon team, known as the MIGHTY TIGERS, and celebrated with them our accomplishment together as a family with even MORE food. :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment